Emulsified Zero-Valent Iron (EZVI) is competitively priced, fast acting, in-situ DNAPL source area reduction product. As a “water in oil” emulsion consisting of nano/micro scale zero-valent iron, EZVI selectively targets, then dehalogenates, halogenated hydrocarbons (e.g. PCE, TCE, CFC, VC) in soil and groundwater. By emulsifying the nano/micro zero-valent iron within a micelle, we achieve three proven benefits for DNAPL source reduction.
First, the micelle is attracted to the DNAPL through sequestration between two hydrophobic materials in groundwater. Second, once the DNAPL sequesters within the micelle, it is chemically dehalogenated and the parent DNAPL degrades into daughter products. Third, as the micelle breaks apart, it provides a rich source of carbon to enhance continued biological reductive dechlorination remediation.
Targeted. Effective. Long-lasting.
Since 2005 when TEA was awarded the first licensee agreement to produce EZVI by NASA, TEA has been the leading provider of EZVI producing hundreds of thousands of gallons for both US and international remediation projects. During those years, we have also continuously upgraded and improved our production and blending capabilities. And, by selecting a more reactive zero valent iron, we have created a more reactive emulsion. Higher Reactivity = Faster Results. When time and price are project drivers, EZVI is your best source reduction alternative.
EZVI 2.0: Faster, better and more cost effective than ever!
EZVI SCIENCE SUMMARY
- Developed/patented by National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Field-tested by the U.S. EPA under the Superfund Innovative Technology Evaluation Program (SITE) Program
- Accepted by most state regulators as a qualified product to treat DNAPL
- Typical source concentration decrease ~90+% within 3 months
- Targeted in-situ source reduction
- Hydrophobic, dense emulsion absorbs DNAPL, delivering contaminant to iron
- In-situ chemical reduction of chlorinated solvent to ethene and water
- Injection or soil mixing using conventional technologies
- Does not promote mobilization of DNAPL
- Direct injection and product treatment costs as low as $96 per/CY